The Language Education Department is a fast-growing department that is integral to the faculty’s teaching, research and community engagement endeavors. The Department offers high quality academic programs that cover languages, linguistics, literature, and drama.
At the undergraduate level, we offer the Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics, Bachelor of Arts in Literature, Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Bachelor of Arts in Zambian languages.
This department explores a range of texts from local and international authors with the hope that the students will learn the art of analysis, expression and develop skills in both the written and oral component of the English Language.
To educate, motivate, and inspire students to interact with people from other nations and/or cultures in a multiplicity of languages. The department seeks to develop linguistically proficient and culturally competent individuals who think critically and communicate effectively in local, national, and global communities.
To help students see themselves as professionals, as part of a discipline with skills and abilities valuable in the business, teaching, and publishing.
Our Core Values
- Convey knowledge of literary history, literary forms, literary theory, and a wide variety of texts and a wide array of vocabularies and practices used to consider them.
- Give students an understanding of an appreciation for the English language.
- Provide students with sophisticated writing and critical thinking skills useful not only in the academy but also in the world at large.
- Offers opportunities to explore identity, values, manners, and morals.
The goals of the department are:
- To achieve excellence in their respective area of study.
- Foster partnerships and relationships in various communities to advance the University’s global initiatives
- To prepare students to be informed global citizens.
- Engage our diverse student population to ensure that all students have the opportunity to become global citizens.
- Respond nimbly to rapidly changing demographics and demands for language learning
- Empower students to acquire attitudes, values, and skills that enhance cross – cultural communications.
- Train English language teachers for different school levels in Zambia.
- Develop students’ abilities in the different language skills through the use of up-to date materials and employing different media of modern technology.
- Providing programs for teaching the English language system covering the fields of phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics as well as theories of first language and second language acquisition;
- Training students for teaching English as a second language using the different modern technologies in language learning and teaching.
- Developing students’ creativity, self-assessment and critical thinking skills.
- Training students to prepare researches and reports in the field of teaching language.